Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Unfortunate Events of Freshman Year

Freshman year was interesting. The first day of school, I had a writing class, however I did not ever make it because I was rushed to the hospital. (Background information: one week before school started, I went clubbing in DC... never again. I assume I obtained rashes on my arms from this particular Swedish guy I was dancing with) I had these  2 rashes on my inner arms, the area between my shoulder and elbow. The rashes started convulsing. So the police drove me to the hospital and doctors literally scalped out and drained the guts of my rashes. fucking awesome. That's exactly how I wanted to spend my first day of school. Its funny though because as I was waiting for all my paperwork to go through, in the waiting area, I was actually sitting next to another freshman from my school. go figure. we chatted.. well he mostly chatted. Fun fact: after that day, even though I didn't know him well we would run into each others arms.. I can't seem to remember why.

But anyway, my story does not compare to Cindy's story. Cindy is one of those amazing people in life who are warm, welcoming, and very genuine. She is still now one of my good friends at college. Back to the story, she lived in a triple freshman year. Her roommates were Jessica and Amanda. Jessica was never in the dorm and went home everyday. But for someone to live not in that dorm, she had so much crap. Not gonna lie, every time I'd come to visit Cindy I would snack on Jessica's food and sometimes me and Cindy had sleepovers.. I would sleep in her bed.  Jessica never noticed. Jessica also had this curling iron. I borrowed it... but when she moved out I forgot to give it back. Amanda was  this sweet  foreign exchange student who was scared of the dark and refused to turn off lights. She also would refer to the grocery store as a 'market.'

Cindy was always tired of having to wear one of those sleeping eye patch things at night, because Amanda would refuse to turn off the light. One night, Cindy becomes fed up and tells Amanda to shut off the lamp. Amanda says "no no, I will dim the light, dim the light with my scarf" (I wish I could audio in her accent, however I am not tech saavy)s. At this point, Cindy grunts and gives up and puts on her eye patch thing on and goes to bed. Hours later, Cindy can not breathe in her room, she takes off her eye patch, however she can't see anything because the room is full of smoke. Cindy says to Amanda "We gotta get outtta here."Before they leave the room, Cindy grabs the most important thing in her room:  her spanish homework due tomorrow. When they got outside, Cindy asks Amanda what happened. Amanda simply replies by saying "I threw the firey thing on the floor." I don't understand... do they not teach stop drop and roll and what not to wrap hot things with in foreign countries? Anyway, the whole building had to be evacuated at like.. I want to say like 4 in the morning. At this time,  fire alarm went off ( I lived in one floor up from Cindy)  and I was in my bed sleeping, and my roommate had to drag me out of bed to evacuate the area.

After the fire and firefighters came, Cindy and Amanda went back to the room only to find that, out of all the three roommates, only all of Cindy's things were damaged. Clothes, ugg boots, and her laptop. Needless to say after this, Cindy couldn't stand to be around Amanda. Amanda moved out and Jessica moved up to my floor.

I get this notion that Amanda still doesn't think she did anything wrong to Cindy. I think its funny though because Amanda says hi to me from time to time. Every time I see her, I think of what happened, and I just have to smile. Obviously, Cindy does not feel the same way after what happened, and especially when Amanda refused to buy Cindy a new laptop.

Deja vu: fast foward to tonight.. or should i say this morning, just as I was about to fall asleep in my dorm fire alarms go off, not cool. Its like freshman year all over again. So I grab my laptop and run along outside. As I am on facebook outside, its Amanda's birthday today. How ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment